You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost), chapter 6

7.2.18


Every second of writing that script felt like walking barefoot over shards of glass. I would write a bit and then I would sob, wanting desperately to erase what I'd just written. Oh God, that's not a scene, no one acts like that. I have no idea what to make happen, who should talk next? I hate myself. Then I would force my fingers to type more, every word feeling like I was bleeding from every orifice. I was engulfed with fearof making mistakes, of writing something stupid, of encountering story problems I couldn't think my way out of.

The creative process isn't easy [...]. It's more like a wobbly, drunken journey down a very steep and scary hill, not knowing if there's a sheer cliff at the end of it all.

I sometimes look at successful people and think, I could do that! I could be there I WANT to be there!, coverting the end result without understanding the WORK that proceeded it. I wanted to have written a script...